Now’s the time to start planning your garden for the new year! Zoryk’s manages your property in the growing months, but you want input on the types of plants you see flourishing in the yard. To help you choose the best plants for your garden you can order seed, bulb, and nursery catalogs. Take advantage of the Canadian seed and plant mail-order list of sources from the Old Farmers Almanac.
You’ve taken down the Christmas tree, but it can still be put to some good use! Recycle those boughs of evergreen by cutting them into 2- to 3-foot sections and place in garden and perennial beds as mulch. Lightweight, open evergreens permit moisture to reach the soil but also insulate the roots and crowns of plants from the freeze-thaw-freeze cycle of Ottawa winters. An alternative use for a holiday tree is to set it in the backyard and decorate it with bird seed and suet ornaments for winter birds.
When shoveling walks, distribute snow loads equitably on shrubs and garden beds. Continue to use potassium- or calcium-based deicing products on walkways rather than sodium-based ones. If possible, broadcast sand on slippery surfaces and always shovel snow before using any de-icing product.
Keep ponds free of ice by installing small pumps or pouring warm water over ice as it begins to form. Don’t bang ice with a heavy object if you have fish in the pond.
Continue to keep the garden tidy by removing any broken or fallen branches from the yard. If small plants have heaved out of the ground, gently press them back with your hands; avoid compressing thawed ground with heavy boots. Retie any vines that might have been torn from their supports.
Those are just a few of the tasks that you can perform now to keep your garden in good shape for the Spring thaw. Zoryk’s is will be back managing of your Ottawa property before you know it.
Picking an Ottawa snow removal company for your commercial space is a bit different than basic residential needs. Your business needs to be open for customers and employees – often 24 hours a day. And to make matters more complicated, the liability concerns you have require reliable, frequent, and professional Ottawa snow removal.
When you keep your commercial property clear, you may even find that the cost savings from your insurance company for having Ottawa snow removal in place covers the contract price.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when selecting a commercial provider of Ottawa snow removal:
Don’t pay a contract up front for the season as – like it or not – money up front is a de-motivator to providing good customer service for Ottawa snow removal. This also gives you flexibility to cancel if service levels for Ottawa snow removal are not sufficient.
As long as we are talking about terms, let’s look at Ottawa snow removal contracts. A professional, flexible, and reliable Ottawa snow removal company should be able to tailor their services to your needs and put it in writing. Put WHEN the company conducts Ottawa snow removal at your commercial space as it differs for every business. If you have a grocery store, you don’t want Ottawa snow removal to be taking place at 5:30 pm.
24/7 Ottawa Snow Removal
As a business owner, chances are you are always on call. That is reality. And the same reality goes for commercial Ottawa snow removal companies. Ask the company – are you plowing, no matter the time, no matter the day? And get that in writing. You are also going to want to be able to reach your Ottawa snow removal company at all hours of the day – make sure you can.
Be Age Discriminant
As your Ottawa snow removal how old and how they maintain their equipment. This reveals not only how strong their business is, but will show you how reliable they will be. No one wants to hear they can’t get their Ottawa snow removal services because the truck is broken down.
Ottawa Snow Removal: More Than the Plow
Make sure Ottawa snow removal contractor you hire has the ability to clear all your lots no matter the amount of snow. And even more important, make sure the company you hire for Ottawa snow removal also offers both snow and ice removal services, shoveling walks, sanding, deicing, salting, snow hauling and stacking. Shoveling keeps walkways, handicapped ramps, stairs, docks, exits and entrances, clear.
Licensed, Insured, and Referred
Make sure the Ottawa snow removal company is insured in the millions… the last thing your business needs is liability associated with an accident that could have been avoided with better Ottawa snow removal. And finally… get references.
Ottawa snow removal is a basic purchase, right? I mean… there are a ton of companies that provide Ottawa snow removal – they must all be the same, right? Wrong.
As we head into the teeth of winter and Ottawa snow removal season, here are a few tips as hiring a company for Ottawa snow removal is not as simple as it seems.
- Hire an established Ottawa snow removal company. Being in business for a long period of time shows that they know what they are doing and are trusted… plus it would really stink if they disappeared.
- Ask your prospective Ottawa snow removal company for references. Do they show up on time, are they reliable, and do they tear up your lawn are all basic questions that should be asked.
- Make sure that your Ottawa snow removal has some pride. If they are driving around in unmarked trucks, with no logo on the door – are they hiding something?
- Ask about their equipment. Older Ottawa snow removal equipment may have served them well for the past ten-plus years, but these trucks are more likely to break down.
- Find out how much liability insurance the Ottawa snow removal company has. This should be a high number (millions) as an accident on your property could come back on you.
- Be careful about selecting the low cost provider of Ottawa snow removal. Sure, no one wants to get taken advantage of, but you may find that your Ottawa snow removal company, if they charge to little, may go belly-up mid-winter if their incoming cash flow doesn’t match with the requirements needed for a heavy winter season.
- If you are in the commercial space, ask how big the plows are for Ottawa snow removal. Why does this matter? The bigger the plow, the faster you’re clear.
- Don’t pay up front. Pay monthly to keep your Ottawa snow removal service coming and committed to providing quality service.